February 16, 2018, Marvel Studio released a new movie called “Black Panther.” The movie is about an African king from Wakanda whos son takes the throne after his father’s death. T’Challa, the new king becomes the black panther. A strong enemy emerges that causes conflict that puts Wakanda and the rest of the world in danger. Creating an alias, the black panther has to use everything in him to defeat enemies as the black panther.
The Black Panther movie is the first movie produced by a major movie studio, Marvel, to be African based with majority black actors. On top of who is in the movie, the movie had a strong plot with twist and turns all throughout the film.
People had many different reasons to want to go and see the film, along with different reactions to it.
A survey was given to see how different students in the Science Leadership Academy (SLA) community felt about the movie and what their responses were to the film. 50% of the students who took the survey were female the other 50% were male. Students with different ethnicities such as white/Caucasian, black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and biracial responded.
Some African American students were happy to see a movie with majority people who look like them.
“I really like the thought of there being a movie just about people of African descent. I feel like being black in America you don’t get too many representatives that look like yourself and when a representative comes out, you as African American have to go see it, because this could be the last representative you get.” says sophomore Jeremiah Butler.
Some thought it would have less of an action movie feel.
“I thought it was going to have a lot more history in it, but it really didn’t at all. It had some, but not as much as I thought.” Stated Butler.
“I thought it was about the black panther party (the group of black activist.)” stated senior Jaszmine Randle.
Despite the different expectations students had before the movie the movie made them feel empowered, inspired, excited, happy and want to visit Wakanda.
Overall students enjoyed the movie. When asked how much they liked the movie from a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being hated it and 10 being loved it), the 25 students chose 9 and 10. 16% choose 9 and the other 84% chose 10.
Most students said they were pleased after the movie, but at the same time, some felt that it was overhyped. Some are excited to see Marvel’s next movie Infinity War, where the Black Panther will appear.
“It was overhyped and the extra scene was not that deep.” comments freshman Tristan Dini.
In the survey students were asked if they would still go see the movie if it was less “African centered”. Most responded yes. While others were mainly watching because of the empowerment of Africans.
“Yea, because it still seems like a good action movie I would see. Probably wouldn’t have the same urgency or want but I definitely would still see it.” respond sophomore Kai Bradley-Gutierrez de Teran.
“Probably not because it would be like other Marvel movies.” Stated sophomore Daeja Richardson.
“No, I wouldn’t because we need to see our roots and I would be disappointed if it didn’t stay true to the original story.” commented senior Deja Harrison
Overall the students of SLA had many reasons for wanting to see the Black Panther. Despite age, race, and gender, the movie had a positive impact on students. There was a variety of expectations that students had but in the end, they seem to be left satisfied with the film.
Leave a Reply